June 2, 2007

Lazy Summer Daze [jessi]

I remember when I was growing up, in the summertime, our local library (in partnership with Reading Rainbow, and Public Television—supported by viewers like you) always had summer reading programs. The goal of these, of course is to lure children into the library, who wouldn't otherwise set foot inside. "If we can get them through the door" the librarians still reason, "into the cool dark aisles, with rows of Newbery winners, and cushy bean-bag reading nooks; if we can do that, we can get them hooked on Harry Potter." And of course, once one has plowed one's way through one's first 784-page book, it's entirely possible that one can get talked into beginning another, and another.


The summers when Jana and I were signed up, we didn't have Harry Potter, but we feasted on L. Frank Baum, and Lucy Maude Montgomery, gleefully watching mom sign off on each of our finished books, attesting as a parent, that her child did not lie about the completion of such. We weren’t quite so gleeful when she took The Baby-Sitter's Club books out of our to-be-checked-out stack, and replaced them with Scholastic's biographies of Founding Fathers, and forbidding even Marguerite Henry’s horse books until we had finished at least one. Still, those were heady days of acquiring imagination and knowledge.

As I got older, and the paper certificates that the library issued to those who met their reading goal lost their power as incentive, and I stopped plowing my way head long through a pile of books, with an August 31 deadline looming like a Texas thunderstorm on the horizon. When I was in college, my friends and I took pictures of each other next to our giant stacks of required reading. One semester my Riverside Chaucer made a great base for a veritable Babel's tower of literature. Usually by the time the final sentence was laid down for the final essay, we were so ecstatic at being finished with the rigidity of institutionalized education that we declared we would read only for enjoyment until fall semester boxed us in again. Summers were spent roaming free across the country on road trips, volunteering at summer camps, or interning in silent and overly-air-conditioned offices. I still read during those summers, but couldn't be talked into the structure of a list. I picked up whatever appealed to me, and sometimes it was Les Miserables, and sometimes it was something decidedly less cerebral.


I have been out of college for three years, and this summer will be my second sans summer camp. In drastic attempts to keep my brain from melting away in the tediousness of my job, I have, for the first summer since the Summer Reading Program at the Library, made a summer reading list. I'm kind of excited. I may even have my mom check them off and sign at the bottom.


To make it, I culled my own stack of nearly 50 as yet unread titles. (I counted 45 on my shelves yesterday, and found two more under my bed this morning.) I seem to be unable to walk out of Henderson’s Used Books with less than five books in hand, and it is a personal point of shame that I am more of a compulsive book buyer than a great reader. So, 47 volumes it is (unless I find more under the bed), and from that, I’m pulling 13 books for the Great Summer Reading List. One for each week through the end of August:


The Book of Chameleons – Jose Eduardo Agualusa

Diamonds for Moscow – By David E. Walker (this one I bought at Henderson’s solely for the cover: vintage 1950s penguin paperback green-and-white two-tone. Shameless, I know.)

5 Red Herrings – Dorothy L. Sayers

Kidnapped – Robert Lewis Stevenson

Cost of Discipleship – Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Blue Like Jazz – Donald Miller

The Idiot – Dostoyevski

The View From Saturday – E.L. Konigsburg

Paradisio – Dante

Piers Plowman – William Langland

The Pooh Perplex – Fredrick Crews

The Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom

Reflections on Psalms – C. S. Lewis


So that’s the list. Now let’s here from you: which books, out of the millions in print, available at Barnes and Noble, Henderson’s, Amazon.com, or your local library will you choose to rest tent-like over your face while you snooze in the Saturday sunshine?

9 comments:

  1. excellent post, jessi. bravo indeed!

    and hurrah for kidnapped (i just love stevenson), blue like jazz (didn't like much of what miller said but i thoroughly enjoyed the read both for his delightful writing style and for the way he made me think), and the hiding place (very sobering and fascinating)!

    now that i work full time and my evenings and weekend are dictated more by my own whims than by those of my professors, i have been attempting to read more often. of course, i don't think i'll ever read the way i did when i was in elementary and jr high school (was there even a world outside of school and my glorious books?!), but i am trying very hard to continue to cultivate the habit of making my way through a book (or two or three...).

    all that to say, i've been using the summers to RE-read some of my favorite books growing up:
    The Black Arrow (by Robert Louis Stevenson)
    Mara, Daughter of the Nile (Eloise Jarvis McGraw)
    Wings of Dawn (Sigmund Brouwer)
    and who knows, i may even pick up Barrie's Peter Pan as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. I think that I too am, at times, a better book purchaser than reader. I'm not at home to look at the carefully selected books on my shelf to read this summer but, off the top of my head:

    The Kite Runner: Khaled Hosseini (currently reading this one)
    To End All Wars: Ernest Gordon
    Christ the Center: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
    The House of the Spirits: Isabel Allende
    Love in Times of Cholera: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Live to Tell It: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    For Whom the Bell Tolls: Ernest Hemingway
    Emm... there are a couple others that slip my mind at the moment.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the first chapter of COD is the best in my opinion... and watch out for the Penguin Sex in Blue Like Jazz.

    Did the west coast ever do BookIt where you read for pizza hut pizza?

    It'd be interesting to know what your regurgitation list is after this summer... cause let's face it, for some books it's almost a crime of adultery to only spend one week with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful.

    but I don't see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jana: Silly, I don't already own Harry Potter, so it doesn't fit on the list. There will be a 24 hour intermission on July 21. It won't take me longer than that to finish Deathly Hallows.

    Justin: I've never heard of BookIt, and I don't know what you mean by "regurgitation list." Some books will take siginicantly less than a week (like Sayers and Stevenson), so I figure that it will even out in the end. Plus I'm reading more than one at a time, instead of crossing them off item by item. For example, the Diamonds for Moscow spy thriller is what I'm reading on my lunch break, while Paradisio will be conquered canto by canto, right before bed. (which is how I managed both Inferno and Purgatorio)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting list. I've been listening to audiobooks while commuting and have been surprised how books can function as just what we need at the moment - sometimes a key, or a salve, or a bucket of ice-water poured over one's head.

    This summer my primary goal is to victoriously complete a quest; we'll see if books are a part of that.

    Praying that God blesses you.

    PS. Yay for Book-It.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw your blog after cruzin' some of you old TFC-ers pages on xanga, nice! Good to see you all on here! :) Check out mine if you want, http://bekahanne24.blogspot.com/ :)

    Hope ALL of you are doing well, ciao bella and God bless! :)

    Bekah D :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin, I loved BookIt!

    Jessi, this summer I plan on reading The History of Love and two books on Lummi history. After that, it's up in the air (and the air is just right for summer reading).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article was so much fun to read! Come to think of it, all of yours are :-) ... but I loved this one, being likewise very much into reading.

    For this summer, my goals are not too high--summer isn't much less busy than winter. But I'm chronologically re-reading the Harry Potter series (currently about 1/3 of the way through book 5) and plan to read 7 the moment I get my impatient hands on it. After satiating that thirst, I plan to finish St. Augustine's Confessions.

    ReplyDelete