April 20, 2007

“I’m fine. You?” [james]

Fingers on the chalkboard: Ugh. Biting in to an apple and seeing half a worm: Eww. Bill O’Reilly: Cough, Gurgle, Barf.

Worse than those, the following conversation might possibly send me in to a coma so deep that even Dr. House couldn’t revive me:

Person A: How are you?
Person B: I am fine. You?
Person A: Good, good.
Person B: Cool. See ya.
Person A: Have a good day.
Person B: Thanks! You, too.

Here’s another one that isn’t so far from reality:

Cashier: Did you find everything ok?
Customer: Well, no. I couldn’t find
peppercorns in brine.
Cashier: Oh, sorry about that.
Customer: Yeah, I was going to make a...
Cashier: Will that be cash or credit?

Both of these conversations left a funny taste in my mouth. (The second one more so than the first because I used capers instead of peppercorns. But that’s another post.) These exchanges have something in common: one or both of the parties involved didn’t care what the answer to their question was.

And that stinks. Pretending to care is worse than not caring at all. It’s fake, it’s rude, and it’s not how you yourself would like to be treated.

I traverse a flowchart in my head when someone asks, “How are you?”



[click to enlarge]

I admit it. I’m a sinner. I, on purpose and all too regularly, enter in to conversations like this one without regard for the other person. My intentions are often simple as much as selfish: show someone that I care, score a few social points, and then escape before he can call my bluff.

Perception determines reality, right? Bollocks. We can do better than that.

Do we really know people? Do we want to know people?

Back in the day, we had a family friend, Jim. He was more than a friend; he was who we wished our uncles would be. He owned a farm and reared horses. He was classically trained in music, and he would play cello for special music at our small country church. He encouraged us kids musically and came to our band concerts. (He seemed mildly offended once that I didn’t invite him to drive 3 hours(!) to attend a college Christmas concert.) He genuinely cared about us as a family and about us kids. He brought a surplus computer from his office to our home one week, and I was hooked (first programming experience: Word Perfect 5.1 macros). Jim played no small part in influencing my career.


I was home from college on Christmas break when we received a package that Jim sent. It contained some Christmas gifts, including checks for all of us kids. Classic Jim: always generous; always thinking about us.

The next day I took a call that tore a hole in our family’s heart: Jim died. He killed himself.

Even though we no longer lived in the same town as Jim, we still thought we knew him well. But, wow... we didn’t see that one coming. That was one of the saddest days.

Just because we love or are loved by someone doesn't mean that we know them. Knowing people takes time and dedication. It requires an emptying of ourselves that we’re usually not prepared for. It takes practice to care without being consumed. It requires diligence to guard ourselves so we can love the sinner without falling in to the sin. It’s hard work that doesn’t always have an immediate reward. And sometimes it really hurts.

Knowing people requires more of us than a flippant “How are you” as you pass them on the sidewalk. If we care, we should be constantly prepared to handle the honest response no matter if it’s dark, if it’s heavy, or if it requires emotional effort on our part.

The fun part of this is that our friends can just as easily be joyful and cheery, and it’s our joy to join them in that. It’s all the more genuine to share the good stuff when you’ve been there lugging the burden through the rough parts.

Could I have helped Jim? Who can know. The best I can do now is to learn from that sad episode in our family’s life: I can’t take people for granted; I must make myself available if they are in need. In this way, I might be God’s instrument of healing or joy or help.

Love your neighbor as yourself. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

And for goodness’ sake, mean it.

6 comments:

  1. Well said,

    The chart really made me think, there are times when it doesn't seem appropriate to share your hearts thoughts with somebody . . . and yet, last year a woman asked me some really personal questions, in which I responded with complete vulnerability and shared with her some wounds from my past that God was healing me of, and what do you know, she's got the same ones, and I'm the second person in the world she tells, she breaks down in tears and I pray for her healing and strength to forgive.

    And to think that at the beginning of the encounter I was tempted to say, "that's none of YOUR business." Who's business is my business if it isn't for the other people God loves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It being my daily goal at work to greet and solve some sort of problem with at least 20 people over the phone, I have to say that there are some cases where connection stays at the surface; I have learned to be practiced at being friendly from a distance (especially on the public transit sytem!). On the other hand, there are a very few conversations that have been effective at solving the person's problem, and yet have ended in the vein of divine appointment. Several people have asked me if I need prayer. People make an extra effort to remember my name, so at the end of the conversation they can speak a short blessing. Some people will tell me about their ministries, and how they use the system I am helping them fix. Some ask about my background, some pastors ask "Jana, sweetheart, do you know the Lord and Savior?" at the end of our conversation. These bits of divinity in everyday business, these people who recognixe the eternal even in a conversation with customer support, these are the spots of encouragement that prove the worthwhile nature of what I am spending 45 hours a week of my time on. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll agree with jana that there are some healthy boundaries to be set with the cultural "How Are You", but also can't side step that half the things that fall from our mouths are nothing but hollow words. Speaking should be more the merely a reaction.

    flowchart... dig it... could i get that in cornflower blue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chart is classic...

    One of my sister-in-laws lived in Amsterdam for a year. She would ask people "How's it going?" and they would reply with "Well, are you really asking because you care, or like an American asks?" That's not a slam on Americans by me, but I did take it as a painful reminder of how shallow any of us can be when we aren't thinking about it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I likewise agree that there are times to keep things on the surface. That said, though, I appreciated this article; it is, too often, too easy to avoid getting real with people.

    Your work is very easy to read, and I like that. I also liked that you balanced the we-need-to-be-able-to-share-the-real-awful-stuff with "The fun part of this is that our friends can just as easily be joyful and cheery, and it’s our joy to join them in that." Excellent clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete