March 25, 2008

It is Finished [james]

Hey, you.

Yeah, I know... it’s been a while. I’ve been busy.

You should know that you’re not welcome here anymore. I could never really keep you out of a place you didn’t want to be, so I don’t expect you to stay away. After all, it’s in your nature; you can’t help it.

I have to admit...

I haven’t missed you all that much.

We had a long run together, you and I. Now that I think about it, I can’t remember a time when I was without you. It was like we’ve been best buddies since I was born. You hung around through thick and thin, better and worse. I wish I would have known sooner which side you were on... (I’m certain that you had little to do with the ‘better’ and lots to do with the ‘worse’).

Our relationship was mostly one-sided. You somehow convinced me that I was getting everything I wanted and needed. In reality, I was left wrecked and hurting. You beat me, and I asked for more; you took all I had, and I kept giving. It was all for you and none for me.

I gave you my affection, and everyone knew it. I did my best to hide it, but my friends saw through me. In their own gentle ways, they begged me to see you from their point of view. I can see now that they aren’t idiots like you told me they are. I was so blinded.

I was so wrapped up in feeling wanted that you trapped me in your pleasure in my worst times. When I was lonely, you gave me stuff to do; when I was bitter, you gave me sweets to digest it; when I was angry, you gave me people to take it out on.

These times with you... they were not my finest hours. But I’m not ashamed to admit what happened--it was a necessary step for me. I can only hope that the people we hurt will forgive me, and the wrongs that we did may be made right. But I don’t fret about these things anymore, and it is not your place to keep reminding of them.

In case it isn’t clear, we’re over. You are in my past. Done. Gone. The End. My future lies elsewhere, and with someone else. We are finished.

It is finished.

3 comments:

  1. an unexpected delight.

    favorite line:
    "I was so wrapped up in feeling wanted that you trapped me in your pleasure in my worst times."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this piece, James. I loved how "it" is left vague enough for the reader to fill in the blank, but descriptive enough to know exactly how it hits. Brilliant, my friend, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete