June 3, 2008

My Body is a Building [liz]

My body is a building
My heart on the forth floor
With a room reserved for you
Forced by wind and time, the door cracks open
I enter to find
Your image, together with mine
Hung upon the walls
Memories drift with me and settle
As smoke upon cotton denim

These four corners and these four walls have never been stationary
They expand and contract
Taking on new shape and new size with
Every word, touch, silence, and space between.
I’ve been gone too long
And can feel the cement moving closer and closer
Will this room soon fade to nothing?
Or always remain, labeled box of my youth?

2 comments:

  1. You know what verse in the Bible always rubs me... the "Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before wthe evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, 'I have no pleasure in them'"

    I want to think that as I get older I will get wiser and be able to both enjoy life more and speak truth more about life's insufficiency in itself... but this verse makes me think that I will only enjoy God in my youth and be bitter as I grow up.

    to hell with that.

    that's what your last line reminded me of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the imagery of the building and the room and the two images hung on the wall... it's very beautiful, Liz. You have a good mind's eye for symbolism.

    ReplyDelete