November 17, 2009

Your Heart Is a Midden [joshua]

Pace around the field
Waist to waist in silence
Watch the storm black the sky

You've razed the harbor
Of pretense from my breast
You're no mystery to me now

Run - your soul crushed callous
The wounds you don't nurse
I leave my flowers funeral haze
And put my hope in the earth

Turn my head away
The screen oh father
There's nothing to say
Why drink it any further
Years of empty promise
To the children it can't ignore

THIS KIND OF LIFE IS SO DESIGNED
TO BURY THE HEART THAT MOVES
A SORT OF GRACE THAT YOU DESPISE
AND HAVE LEARNED TO LOSE
OUT FROM UNDER YOUR SHAME
NO, YOU SERVE IT

I see you jet away again
Another lost chance to wave
The heart is a midden
I see you jet away again
Let me see you jet away again

Capture all the markers
From all the graveyard stops
The trespasses of a life gone by
Hitchhiked on feelings, pictures

You love the politics of preservation
Save the landfill you say
Your heart is a midden

I see you jet away again
I see you stoop to kiss her
I see you jet away again
Your heart is a midden

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what else to say, I love it. Can't even pick a favorite line.

    Your fiction is fun, but your poetry is absolutely stellar. A more down-to-earth T.S. Eliot, perhaps? I don't know. Your poetry makes me want to know you more--like I'm missing a whole lot of you in regular time and space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i dont know what to say to that jake - thanks. very high praise, especially coming from someone who's poetry i respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jake...your poetry rocks! I love the emotion that is present. The image of a storm on the horizon totally reminds me of a time with Justin & Naomi at Larry's house sitting outside while a huge storm passed over head. That was an awesome experience...and was the prevailing image in my mind as I read your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I actually had to look up the word "midden". Had no idea what it meant.

    Favorite lines:

    The trespasses of a life gone by
    Hitchhiked on feelings, pictures


    That's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete