June 25, 2010

Chocolate and Limes [jana]

You name me. Chocolate and limes, bitter
and bitter, two kinds and two rhymes.

I need to know: how is the bitter made sweet?
Is it dancing along a Venetian street?
Floating on cushions just at water level?
Roses and oceans of wine and unwind a little?
Barren as desert compared to these hills
Childless and broken,
nameless and homeless,
void and waiting on crucible change.

chocolate and limes
and me...a poisoned well?

Only true when I fail to remember,
Remember barren is also to be free to love, challenging
the bitter in me to transform, turning sweet; ice to water.
I find my children in faces around me.
Rock in river, step for tentative foot,
Brief hold, refuge for the half-drowned.
Each contact strengthens me, too
Remember, remember, to be an island is not the same
as to be a desert.
O my soul,
An island, not always a desert.

2 comments:

  1. There are about 20 awesome things about this poem--probably more, if only I were smart enough to find them. I love "waiting on crucible change"--one nugget in the beautiful strand you've strung together in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is phenomenal. A poetic, sensual lament. I could read it over and over again and find something new every time.

    ReplyDelete