May 25, 2007

Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread [james]

I like bread.


No, that’s not it. I love bread. Sourdough; sprouted grain; Romano cheese and herb… I could go on. I especially love lightly-toasted rye when it holds corned beef and sauerkraut in place.


Historically, most societies developed their own regional milled-grain foods that are, culinarily speaking, all in the same “bread” family; among them: pancakes, crepes, flatbread, tortillas, biscuits.


Bread is so cool: Bread sustains. Bread is basic. Bread is common. Bread is international. Bread has the same basic ingredients as beer.


The Israelites have a bread story, too. We've all probably heard it before, but let me refresh our memories. When the Israelites were wandering in the desert following God on a circuitous route to the Promised Land, God miraculously provided for them with manna, a bread-like substance that fell with the morning dew (Num 11:9) and “melted” in the afternoon (Ex 16:21). Out in the desert, God provided enough food for everyone.


God didn’t flood His people with food, though; He gave these wanderers only enough food to last the day. If, in a morning, the Israelites gathered more manna than they needed for the day, the uneaten manna quickly “bred worms and stank” (Ex 16:20). (In preparation for the Sabbath, He provided an extra portion (Ex 16:23), and it did not go bad.) The people who tried to get ahead and store up for later were disappointed to find maggots where their food should be.


This manna was basic sustenance for everyone, but it wasn’t just provision. It was also a way in which God disciplined his people:

And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. -- Deuteronomy 8:3 (ESV)

I am not unlike these wandering Israelites. I want things. Big things. Important things. I know what I used to have, and if I can’t have something better, then I want what I had before. If I’m leaving that behind for something better, I should have it right now. And if I have a say in it, I know exactly what the “something better” is that I want.


What a self-centered attitude! If I’m going to pray the fourth petition of the Lord’s Prayer, “Give us this day our daily bread,” then I had better mean it. I must trust God for enough daily provision in all matters (know that he will provide bread), be thankful for what he provides (the flavor of the bread may not always be my favorite), and use it wisely (don’t abuse it).


For my personal big-picture concerns about my health, a spouse, what this life is for and what I’m doing about it... I must at all times trust God to provide what I need when I need it. Things I want may not be the right thing for me to have. If I don’t have “it” right now, then I maybe I don’t need “it” right now. Or if I’d be better off with “it,” maybe I’m not ready for “it” and therefore shouldn’t have “it” yet.


I know in my mind that God is constantly providing, but instead of being grateful in my heart, I am usually asking for more. I know disciplining is happening, but I don’t exactly know what I’m being prepared for (and might possibly be too daft to recognize it).


Some days I get the feeling like I’m wandering like the Israelites. It’s not quite the same of course: I drive a Jeep instead of a camel; my water comes from the tap instead of a rock; and I can get an abundance of literal bread from a state-inspected bakery instead of waiting for God to drop it off on the lawn in the morning (I wonder... did the Israelites have a 5-second rule?).


But still, the journey doesn’t always make sense, and this frustrates me. I understand that God never promised a Promised Land every day, but, boy, would I like to know where this is going.


I do know this: Provision will happen. I am convinced that, because of Jesus, God has good in store for me daily, and that is a privilege. Fortunately for me, this good occasionally takes the form of a Reuben over at Grammy’s (trust me, it’s heavenly!). In the end, though, the destination is God’s. For my own good, I need to follow Him there.


Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! -- Psalm 27:14 (ESV)

Other resources to check out:

Darrell W. Johnson. Fifty-seven Words that Change the World: A
Journey through the Lord’s Prayer
(Vancouver, British Columbia: Regent College Publishing, 2005).

Sermon: “Leaving Control For Faith”, by Rob Bell of Mars Hill Church, Grandville, MI, on March 11, 2007. (sermon was last available here (expect to download 031107.mp3))

Song: “Painting Pictures of Egypt” by Sarah Groves from her album Conversations.

3 comments:

  1. you write like you are James, that's a good thing.

    love the beer and 5 second rule lines.

    i think about, more than seldom, how much I am controlling faith as compared to faith controlling me. It's hard to let go... it's hard to die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for not saying that I write like I play the djembe (you know... a little "off beat")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bread person too ... good stuff.

    Yeah, that "daily bread" concept can seem rather dull sometimes. You make an important point, though. It reminded me of Ray Vander Laan teaching in one of those That the World May Know videos, showing a group of people what "green pastures" look like in Israel. "Enough for the day" was the concept. We all find that hard to live by at times, but your article reminded me how grateful I really ought to be.

    ReplyDelete