May 3, 2007

Spirituality and Certainty [jenna]

Perhaps I shouldn’t laugh at something so tragic, but when a recent MSN article entitled “Rediscovering Your Spiritual Self ” offered this advice—“Gaze into the night sky and think of the stars as holes in the darkness letting heaven shine through”—I admit to snickering. It’s not that a little poetic imagery bothers me, though I do object to something so suspiciously like cheap greeting-card poetry, but this suggestion came in the context of advice for relief from suffering through spirituality.

America, as we all know, has experienced quite a revival in spirituality since atheism wore out of fashion. When Muslim terrorists brought down the Twin Towers and part of the Pentagon in 2001, we reminded each other that not all of Islam deserved censure because of the actions of radicals. Personal website hosts such as Myspace and Blogger automatically post your astrological sign on your profile. Some form of transcendental or New Age meditation was taught my class, at least, when I was in grade school, and megachurches advertise their ‘friendly, welcoming atmosphere’ on television.

The problem with the driving force behind these concepts (regardless of the merit or danger of any particular notion) is that it’s empty; a sheer senseless void that has American culture wandering in its colorless waste. In all the positive energy, the acceptance of all belief systems as equally valuable, the encouragement for each to find his or her own way, the pagan meditation and holistic ideas of therapy and healing, there is hardly a word of actual sterling truth—and truth, of all things, has the ability to provide sanity and healing.


John Henry Cardinal Newman, in his Grammar of Assent, gives us the following words:

“Now truth cannot change; what is once truth is always truth; and the human mind is made for truth, and so rests in truth, as it cannot rest in falsehood … It is of great importance then to show … that the intellect, which is made for truth, can attain truth, and, having attained it, can keep it, can recognize it, and preserve the recognition.”
There are a lot of reasons for the pervasive hopelessness and depression rampant among us: overdosing on sugar (and alcohol and drugs), instability in the family, general feelings of isolation, widespread amorality, early exposure to violent imagery, et cetera ad infinitum. I wonder, though, if more of the problem than we ever admit has to do with the loss of any concept of stable, solid, concrete, absolute truth.

We are asked nowadays to treat all faiths as equal and private; however, the idea that faith is merely personal, a matter of choice, is meaningless. The concept that all religions lead to some general heaven, regardless of how different their description of heaven itself or the requirements for entry, removes all logic from religion itself. Without logic, there is no knowledge; without some level of knowledge, hope is fragile at best. Probably few ideas, in and of themselves, have done more to destroy hope among Westerners than that stripping of all certainty out of faith.

Some of my peers assume, as one young ex-Christian, that “Nobody in this vast world of ours ever comes to the logical conclusion that if every member of every religion thinks he just happened to be born in the right religion it simply means all religions are wrong ones”—but the one thing that his argument does not have is logic; for the simple fact of disagreement between two men has no bearing on the actuality that one of them may be right and the other quite wrong. Others take the popular stance carried by the Baha’i faith, like the chant reputedly led by Bono at one of his concerts: “Jesus, Jew, Mohammed: all true” without ever reasoning that the literal and absolute contradictions between the doctrines of the three preclude such a possibility.

To me, one of the strongest arguments for believing in literal truth is the mess that humanity becomes without it. Once that confidence—with all its glory and fear—has been sacrificed, the structures of morality and security that maintain our decency, dignity and sanity crumble and dissolve.

Not that sheer confidence that one has found the truth is enough to build a structure that can support all those good things. But as G. K. Chesterton said, “It is always simple to fall; there are an infinity of angles at which one falls, only one at which one stands” (Orthodoxy, 1995 reprint Ignatius Press p. 108). If, then, truth exists, my duty is not to figure out what I think and be true to it; my duty is to find what is truth and align myself faithfully to it.

This means that of necessity I believe in right and wrong; not merely morally—that’s an outgrowth of deeper things—but philosophically and yes, spiritually. That I have confidence in the truth of Christianity should be clear from the above.

Christianity requires plenty of recourse to faith, of course; so does Islam, Buddhism, pantheism, etc.—and so does atheism, evolutionary science, agnosticism, hedonism, and all the other secular religiosities out there.

But I do believe that, centrally at least, certainty is possible. The fact that it takes time, effort, and faith to achieve it—however daunting that may make the search—does not take away from the existence of the truth itself. The matter of whether truth exists or not is only half the question; the rest is this: do we dare to know the answer?

10 comments:

  1. Terms like "certainty" and "truth" are disturbing to me. It's not that I don't think we can be certain, or that there isn't veracity to the Gospel. But I do think the reason people have become so universalist is because they fear (rightly so judging from history) that whenever a group of people become certain that they know the absolute truth, they will become violent and/or repressive of those who do not believe in the same way. After all, we seem to see more violence coming from those who believe in absolute truth than those who believe in little or none (for instance, aren't we seeing fundamentalist Christians battling it out with fundamentalist Muslims right now?).

    I think of books like The Case for ________ series. What they are basically saying is, "You have to believe in this or you are an idiot." I don't think this is what you are saying at all, but I just know what often happens when we start talking about certainty/certitude more than fidelity.

    So my question is this; is there a way for us to hold our Christian beliefs that allows us to both remain faithful to our Saviour who is the Way, Truth, and Life, without becoming repressive towards those who believe differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question: yes, I do think there is a way--the way of true humility.

    Believe me, I understand your concerns. By no means do I advocate the use of violence to enforce a system of belief; nor do I advocate simple-mindedly informing random Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics, etc. that they're wrong and we're right. I don't think that's what Jesus meant by "making disciples of the nations."

    On the other hand, I don't think we can blame certainty itself for violence and repression. The great martyrs and saints of history, for instance, are often very good examples of unyielding confidence in their faith. Human corruption, not confidence in truth in and of itself, leads to the evils you have described.

    As to whether we actually have 'fundamentalist Christians' battling against the Muslims right now--well, supposing you to mean the war in Iraq, I think that's questionable. Though I'm not a pacifist, and though hating Bush has become such a fad nowadays that I generally distrust the attitude itself, I've never had much of an idea of him as a serious Christian of any branch of thought.

    Your emphasis on fidelity is very much important, and I thoroughly agree that without faithfulness, head knowledge is meaningless and often dangerous. The paradox, though, lies in the fact that we need something solid, something true, to achieve a meaningful faithfulness, and that is my point in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of the stars as holes in the darkness letting heaven shine through reminds me of one of my favorite Wodehouse passages: "I wouldn't go so far as to say that the girl wrote poetry or anything, but when she talks of the stars being "God's daisy chain", one begins to wonder."

    Ultimately, this kind of spirituality-without-grounding is meaningless, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all Jenna, I hope I didn't imply you would or were advocating any sort of violence. If I did, I apologize.

    You make a great point by bringing up the martyrs of the past. Many of them did do a fabulous job of holding together certainty and humility.

    Your article struck me for a multitude of reasons. We live according the revealed word of God that places a certain calling on our lives. The hardest thing for me in the past few years is working with different people who claim to absolutely understand God's calling on our lives, yet they don't all line-up. Which means somebody (or everybody) is wrong.

    I guess my question is, "What do we decide to be certain about?" I do not ask this out of any sort of hostility, but as somebody who is really trying to figure all of this out. Is it creeds, the historical certainty of Jesus dying on a cross, the virgin birth, the Bible being 100% accurate and God's word...? Or what about how heaven/hell and God's judgement work? I've been having many conversations with friends about creeds and belief systems and am honestly just trying to find a way to be both humble and certain at the same time.

    Sorry for rambling, and I hope my questions make sense. This is just my way of trying to figure this stuff out for my own life and the way I teach my students about faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the hardest thing about Truth (meaning absolute truth) is the ability to be open to other sides of truth. There is something to be said for not being "close-minded", and I think this is where you are going with humility... but I know that for me personally I have had a grasp on one part of truth (say, justice) and needed to learn the other side (mercy) that was equally as true. I also think that's a large part of what makes this whole mushy-ness when it comes to people standing in their convictions... is that we know that we have been wrong so many times.

    Dovetailing off of that: I think there is something to be said for a healthy understanding of mystery. We don't know how it all works sometimes, and instead of trying to act like we've got it all figured out... maybe it comes down to trusting God--the holder of Truth--and asking Him to open our minds so that we can understand. Maybe an "I don't know" is still Truth.

    Another tough part about people who know Truth is that they are usually the most obnoxious, arrogant people who we usually don't want to hang out with, even if we know that they are right.

    I personally want to learn how to become the type of person who draws Truth out of people instead of inflicting it on them.

    That was a long comment.... good article, Jenna. You gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. over the past two years, i have been wrestling with the "truth" about certainty and mystery and how both are part of being a follower of Jesus. at the core, i would say that faith in the incarnation and certainty that God reconciled us to Himself through Christ Jesus and gave us the ministry of reconciliation [2co.5.18] is really the only thing i can cling on to. I might fight and argue and strive to know and understand other things but that "creed" is the truth I hold inside [now how do work that out in day to day life?].

    i think it was chesterton that said all orthodox Christians must have a bit of agnostic in them because of the mystery and majesty of God/Jesus. and yet i don't think the early church, though not perfect, was wishy-washy as far as saying Jesus is the only Truth. how are we suppose to be bold and not arrogant; how are we to continue to grow and question and doubt without always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth [2ti.3.7].

    i find it interesting how "modern christians" use logic as one of their proofs... logic is just as fallen as imagination and imagination is just as redeemable as we say logic is.

    good writing, good thought provoker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have any of you read The Grace and Truth Paradox by Randy Alcorn? He comments on a lot of these points.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing to apologize for, Matt! I didn't take your words as an accusation at all. You raise some excellent questions, and like you and Naomi both mentioned, I too have run into the difficulty of dealing with people who have 'got it all figured out' (though I really think their own arrogance is their actual problem, and certitude just their excuse.) If anything I said came across as making much of my own understanding of truth, then I'm the one who needs to apologize.

    My article tells only half the story, which--looking back--probably should have been made a bit clearer. Justin, I absolutely loved your point about logic being as fallen as imagination; I couldn't agree more. Naomi, your comments on mystery are the other half of the story. Like your struggles with justice and mercy portray one great tension and balance of Christianity, I think a healthy struggle with knowledge and mystery portrays another.

    I don't presume to have any great ideas about what, or how much, people ought to be certain of. Honestly, it seems to me that one of the first places we'll go in a sincere search for certitude in Christ is an understanding of our own fallibility.

    Likewise honestly, this article exists merely because I've struggled deeply with these ideas my whole life (and continue to.) I simply feel that some clear conviction about the central truths of our faith is absolutely necessary to our own peace of mind, and it seems to me that true Christ-based certainty will lead us not to arrogance but to a deeper awareness of the great mysteries of our faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two things here. One, I've realized for awhile now that we as Christians should stop calling ourselves "Christians" with the world as our frame of reference. When we do that, we make "Christianity" one among many other factions, all of them equally worthless because when Christianity is at that point, it ceases being something about personal relationship and becomes all about a means toward earthly power.

    Personally, I'd rather be called a "follower of Christ" than a "Christian". To admit to being a follower means that I do struggle to follow, and don't necessarily "go with the crowd" so far as seeking Christ goes. With the collective of others removed from the equation, I am free to be what God would have me to be, rather than what others would have me believe God wants me to be.

    The spiritual emptiness around us is in part because it really is no longer about each of us and God. It's about who we are as a group and God... and more to the point, it's how we as a group can use God for our own benefit. Of course there's going to be no substantial and lasting truth in that.

    The second thing is this: it's wrong to assume that truth does not change. Truth changes all the time. Okay, not THE TRUTH but people... and I think of all the people in the world it's Americans who are the worst in doing this... are constantly altering their belief in what the truth is. They do it for the most part because it's expected of them. Witness the supporters of George W. Bush: the man has done absolutely nothing - at least since he's been President - that's been at all consistent with the principles of Christianity. And yet millions of people will earnestly contend that he is a "good Christian man". How does that happen? Because in their minds, Republican = "good Christian". Someone in my church actually told me that before the election: he and his wife had voted straight Republican instead of going down the ballot and choosing with their own minds who to vote for (and since school board was non-partisan, I didn't get either of their votes :-( ) To these people "the truth" about us having a "real Christian" in the White House is something that people like Pat Robertson and James Dobson tell them... and instead of questioning, they fall into line and accept that meekly. And they refuse to consider (*gasp*) the possibility that there is really very little or nothing at all that's virtuous about our "leaders".

    You see it happen across all political ideologies, and religious ones too. Maybe the human mind is meant for truth, but the vast majority of humans do not use their minds to pursue truth. So when Bono says that all religions are the same, because plenty enough people believe him, this does become the truth. 2 + 2 does not equal 4, as O'Brien told Winston in "1984".

    (A book that's more meaningful now than ever, especially regarding the concept of "doublethink".)

    Bottom line: we are trapped in the Matrix, and damn too few of us have chosen to take the Red Pill. And unfortunately if you possess the truth and try to do something good with it in this world, the Agents are going to come after your butt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this quote by a fantastic Christian artist today, and immediately thought of this discussion:

    The following question was asked:

    The issue of "truth is always important to art but not always easy to deal with. A lot of contemporary art has turned to irony because of a lack of faith, faith in the existence of Truth and faith that, even if the Truth exists, painting can convey it. There is a double doubt, a double skepticism, with which many artists have to contend. How do you contend with this atmosphere?

    His answer:

    "I begin from a confidence that I know the One who is the Truth, and the Way and the Life. I saying this, I have no room to boast that I have "found the Truth," for in reality it is the Truth that has found me. The challenge I face is how to present the Truth in the language of art."

    ReplyDelete