November 4, 2008

Affected by the Weather [liz]

Never out of control
Heat the house, a different feel awake or asleep
In your car warm your seat, cool your face
Park in the garage, never feel a drop
But here with a hundred names
The storm soaks through to my cold, cold skin
Night lights shine where the water falls
A current in the path
Each drop hits my head
Running down this coat to the ground
And when winter breathes in my window
I know she’ll not be gone for a long, long while
An unwanted guest following me around
Put on more clothes, find a companion to keep warm
Alone the air could stop your heart
Change with the earth’s movement, we do
Sun, rain, cloud, and cold
Here with the rest, we will always be
Affected by the weather

7 comments:

  1. .fav.
    "Alone the air could stop your heart"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it. The fact that we invent mechanisms to keep the weather from affecting us shows that we've been affected. Why else are we building these contraptions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of how I never realized how much I love the sky till I moved to Washington, where I hardly ever see it.

    Well expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite part is this:
    "But here with a hundred names
    The storm soaks through to my cold, cold skin
    Night lights shine where the water falls
    A current in the path"
    that reads so beautifully and is an awesome picture

    im really curious about the experiences behind this

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem is about the difference between living in America and living in China. There is no central heating or air conditioning in China, and the walls are made of pure brick and cement, which means there is no insulation. It is often the same temperature or colder inside than it is outside. Also, I walk or take my bike most places, so if it is raining, I might get soaked. In essence, I am affected by the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey liz. i was thinking about your poem and response this morning, bc i was trying to write but my hands were freezing, not bc i am in china but bc my friends aren't turning thier heat on bc they are young and broke. anyway i was thinking about comfort vrs being alive ya know. when you are cold you are definitely aware of yourself. but also really really looking forward to being warm again. . . none of my thoughts really went anywhere. just wondering. lol it would be cool to read some more about what you've learned in china though.

    ReplyDelete