November 4, 2008

The Depression Box [theodora]

Do you remember the depression box? I remember it quite well. It started with an old shoe box I decided to take into the front yard and spray paint. The shaking of the can made music and fumes hung in the air like heavy, cheap, suffocating perfume. I coughed. I sat on the crunchy leaves, watching as the paint began to dry. It was early evening. It was an early, sad evening.

That was when it started getting dark early. The sun would hide behind the trees at 5pm and I would fear that all soon the darkness would be our scenery. Chills go up and down my spine even now as I can still feel the days grow shorter, shorter, shorter, sadder..

During that time, I started using child scissors to cut out forms and shapes. I bent paper clips into stick people. I preserved the leaves that otherwise would have been trampled. I scribed every word that crossed my mind. I emptied bottles of pills. I let red and blue paint run like glorious symbolism of blood and sorrow. Art was my breath. It was the depression box.

The box now sits in a paper bag, tucked away in my closet. I have not opened it in months, for it somehow still holds a haunting power I am not sure I am courageous enough to confront. It is the reminder of all of what the human heart can hurt. The depression box was the home that I never should had visited, the place I never should of had to dwell. (And where does that leave me now you ask? It leaves me with a story I have to tell, a testimony that thrives, a journey that is still being walked.)

A year later. I breathe in, I breathe out. The spray paint can is empty and a new autumn is here. I swear, I can see hope everywhere.

9 comments:

  1. i don't remember, but i'm quite intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like there's more of the story to be told. Granted, there's always more to a story than what is told, but even still there are times when more words are required.

    Maybe that doesn't make sense lol.

    I liked it. I feel like a caught a small, small glimpse of something huge in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Jake--there's more and I'd love to read it if you ever write it. I want to hear more about the need to preserve the leaves and the role that plays in the box. What role does art play in freely breathing in and out at the end of the piece? What do you create now?
    You've made me curious, Teddi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's "a lot more where that came from." ;-)
    I'll be glad to share it with you guys sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative expression is one of the healing responses to depression. It is not a "fixer," but as you said, it is a record of the story. The other option, I sometimes feel, is only paralysis, a vacuum.

    One of my classmates in college brought out some of her most amazing work while going through a period of clinical depression.

    Thanks, this is a raw record of something that needs to be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont so much have a comment - but know that i read your post with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jana is really right on the power of creativity, making a "record of the story", in depression.

    Poignant words ... you're so right about how hard it can be to go back and revisit later. I have old journals that I'm almost unable to read.

    I love the hope at the end of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dust of memory and story is that with which God forms us again, again made from the dust of the ground, again made for glory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the connection to the seasons in this. and the child scissors. its really cool to see you change =)

    ReplyDelete