December 23, 2008

Note and Declaration [rachel]

Note (to a friend):
Your favorite season has always been winter.
I’ve long thought it was because of sleigh bells on doors,
Christmas caroling in the fresh cold air, lights on the tree, cookies in the oven.
But I think now it’s because of the cold,
The snow,
How it makes you numb.
As you hold it in your hand,
First it burns and then
You lose feeling.
That sounds appealing if your pain
Is big enough
And you just want to make it go away.
I will help you hang the bells, carol with you,
Trim the tree, bake cookies and help you eat them.
But I will not hold the snow to your heart
Helping to shut out the hurt.
I will not any longer.
Instead I will chip away at the ice,
Ushering in the feeling: the mourning, and the dancing--
Ushering in the spring.

Declaration:
I am not
I am not bound
I am not bound by fear.
He is my witness
I am adopted
Accepted
Atoned for
Alone no longer.
The Spirit has come
Has rushed in
Swept me off my feet.
And Love,
You have loved
You have loved me
You love me.

5 comments:

  1. Instead I will chip away at the ice,
    Ushering in the feeling: the mourning, and the dancing--
    Ushering in the spring.

    ^That was my favorite part. And it made me think of my favorite quote from LOTR the Return Of The King when Sam asks Frodo if he remembers spring and the taste of strawberries and says that spring is coming soon.

    I absolutely loved this poem! It flowed beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I also love this because 2 years ago Jesus told me in the dead of January to "Watch the melting" so the concept of winter changing into spring, and not letting my heart be winter is really significant to me..
    I should just tell you this in person, rachel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. .fav.
    "First it burns and then
    You lose feeling."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite:

    "I will help you hang the bells, carol with you,
    Trim the tree, bake cookies and help you eat them.
    But I will not hold the snow to your heart
    Helping to shut out the hurt."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Rach I just read this again and I think 'Note's is one of my favorite poems. Its just so direct and clear and strong. Beautiful. =)

    ReplyDelete