April 10, 2009

Cavern of Culture [liz]

I’ve never seen the Grand Canyon
But I live in a cavern of culture that divides East from West
The ground moves and beauty is upside down
I am surrounded by the beasts of misunderstanding
As each hour passes, my questions increase—why
Why spit, push, call me fat, lack compassion for the dying?
It may not be wrong
But I feel wronged
And so the canyon gets bigger
Like two lovers who forgot to share their hearts
Every word, gesture, and silence separates
I from one land, and you that other land
How do I make my peace?
I will never be you, nor you be me
But I want to see what makes our difference lovely

8 comments:

  1. .fav.
    "Like two lovers who forgot to share their hearts."

    the proper love for xenos is sometimes very hard - same for them I suppose as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Justin.

    East and West, their differences and what they have to offer each other, intrigue me. Good thoughts on the struggle to understand and make peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How do I make my peace?"
    Simple, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Like two lovers who forgot to share their hearts
    Every word, gesture, and silence separates"

    love those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. Your poetry is always poignant and potent.

    "Like two lovers who forgot to share their hearts"

    and

    "I will never be you, nor you be me
    But I want to see what makes our difference lovely"

    ReplyDelete
  6. i enjoyed reading your poem
    my favorite line.

    I’ve never seen the Grand Canyon
    But I live in a cavern of culture that divides East from West
    The ground moves and beauty is upside down

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this one. The last line was my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. so great. i love it because it so well expresses the mixed emotions of living in China.

    ReplyDelete