April 14, 2009

The Serpent [tony]

I am a tree; for that is what he has set upon my mind for me to be
For I have wandered too far from the valley
My eyes set upon something stirring in the brush

As this serpent slithers toward my direction
I do not stir, I don’t move a muscle
For I am terrified he might strike at me
So he comes closer

I act like I don’t notice him
Hoping he will slither by; knowingly, he senses my fear

So he slithers faster and faster
Like a carnivore after his prey
I can’t stop him, for I am only a tree

So he, with ease, invites himself onto my roots
And gradually gently wrapping his body around my trunk

And I can do nothing
I wait patiently for the wind to blow
But I have wandered too far from the valley

I am only a tree
I am only a tree
And this is a wandering serpent
Wanting to constrict its prey

Is there no other fate for me?
Must I be the prey?
For I have wandered too far from my valley
Is there no wind?

Is my fate to be constricted from this hideous serpent?
Is there no greater power?
Is there no stronger being?

It must be my choice
I chose to leave the valley
I chose to go where there is no wind

So this was all my choice
I have chosen to be constricted
By this serpent which I have placed upon myself
I have chosen to become helpless

8 comments:

  1. You create the dark tension of the situation very well.

    The first stanza is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the play between external influences and internal responsibility.

    the idea of valley being home is a new concept to me...I'm use to thinking of mountain tops as restful places, but I guess you can't really see the mountain that you are standing on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked "I am only a tree. I am only a tree." It sounded very aching..
    Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justin said pretty much exactly what I was going to say with his comment about external influences and internal responsibility. Intriguing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts Tony and nice work making them visual. Would love to hear where this came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. better than expected. very cool. w/ jake first stanza is favorite, in particular first line. was really diggin cadence at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony--this is so cool seeing your poetry online! I like that you're exploring trees not just in drawing but in writing. And the wind too--I like that the tree is longing for the wind as though longing for Spirit. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. tony this is awesome! It was tough, but I think the last 2 stanzas are my favorite

    ReplyDelete