February 15, 2011

Deep Soil [liz]

Deep below the ground
Rock turned hot, swims and stirs
It moves, and so do I

A row of roses, planted, watered
Fed by what once was,
Uprooted, forgotten, waiting for the outcome
No water, no soil—neglected

Picked back up, not yet dead
Set down in new earth
Watered, but the shock takes time
Watered and still waiting
Green appears and soon a bud,
The flower blooms, a rose

It is our story
Planted in good soil
Uprooted and waiting
Replanted, watered

Sun brings forth a rose.

3 comments:

  1. I think my favorite parts are the first stanza and the last line. I'm not sure why, I just love the way the words flow.

    I love the notion of patience in this piece. Maybe the reason I like the first stanza and the last line so much is that they create, for me, a tension, wherein I am waiting throughout the rest of the poem, to resolve.

    I also like "Picked back up, not yet dead."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it a lot--it's simple, sweet and true. I'm with Jake on appreciating the underlying idea of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The concept of being uprooted, both in a good and bad way, comes to mind when I read this...

    ReplyDelete