February 8, 2011

This Is the End of a Beautiful Relationship [sean]

Someday, the sun will start to go down
And then another winter will begin to set in;
And the Autumn leaves will fall down assisted
By the smell of lightning as the dawn grows dim.
In that day, I will look down at your shoes,
As you look across and rest your knowing stare on mine,

Knowing that the rain of last fall is growing older,
Of course, with time, the memories are growing colder.

A part inside of me is crushed and crumpled up like paper,
The awkward sentences make everything strangely beautiful.
There is a feeling that comes in Autumn, but a little later
Changes colour, and then is carried away with the leaves.

On the patio, two lovers are dancing, encircled by lanterns and spice;
As he pulls away, she follows him in, and he follows her in, and it's reversal again.
There is, here, the lightest kiss on the forehead and on the neck,
But the record stops and the hands stumble, and then fall down again.

The heat on my face; it bleeds away in exchange for something cool.
Light dancing on my glasses-frames goes red and falls into the night.
What the car ride fails to soothe is a quiet ache that gives a whisper,
Tucks in its chin, and pulls up every word from every single fight.
Now that Summer's gone, it's Autumn, beckoning to Winter "come on."
Spring is just a forgotten memory of some hopeful misty morning,
Now replaced with a chill and a warning (a chill and a warning).

Some years ago I ran with the wind and climbed the apple trees;
But today I discovered that something had changed, and I hate poetry.

3 comments:

  1. Some very vivid imagery in this piece. I liked: "On the patio, two lovers are dancing, encircled by lanterns and spice." Good, somewhat subtle repitition of "fall" and "fall(ing) down".

    I really liked the enjambment on the last two lines of the third stanza.

    I don't think I really understand your turn at the end lol, but that's okay. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jake on the "On the patio..." stanza. That is really beautiful.

    Autumn, awkwardness, being crushed and crumpled up, reversal... it's an intriguing and sort of heartbreaking set of ideas. Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you set up the environment really well and create a picture that anchors the words to an actual place, even if only imaginary.

    ReplyDelete