March 8, 2011

In Memoriam [sean]

He hangs on an emaciated frame,
Spreads His arms to take the blame,
Opens His mouth and screams in
Whispered tones and it is fin.
After that, nothing was the same.
And I, I am on my knees.
And I have nothing in my lungs,
And His empty eyes are staring through me.
Does it have to end like this?
I know the cost outweighs the prize.
And even Heaven brings down darkness
Upon the isles.
My head is soaked and in my hands.
I, too, have gone astray just like a lamb
Destined for slaughter.
Like God’s adopted sons and daughters.
He is pierced and all His blood pours down
Right beside where I am, curled up upon the ground.
He limps just like a damned tree left in autumn,
Just like a dead tree left for spring.

4 comments:

  1. Favorite:

    And I, I am on my knees.
    And I have nothing in my lungs,
    And His empty eyes are staring through me.


    Haunting imagery, that. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .fav.
    I know the cost outweighs the prize.
    And even Heaven brings down darkness
    Upon the isles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As mentioned above, there are some EXTREMELY poignant and (to use Jenna's word) haunting lines in this piece.

    The ending, however, I find the most moving for two reasons:

    1. The "dead tree left for spring" is the looking forward, the hope to come, the light shining through the darkness, the resurrection of the dead, but

    2. the way you ended the poem did not (ironic phrasing) overshadow the original mood conveyed. That is very impressive, in my estimation--to acknowledge the hope, but remain reflective and contemplative on the reverence of the cross.

    Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jake. Man, I have been super busy trying to prepare myself for my wedding (coming up in just over 3 weeks), and haven't had much time to check out Silhouette Words. But thanks for the kind response, all of you. I will try to be on more often to give the rest of you some feedback.

    -Sean

    ReplyDelete