May 20, 2008

Burn In/Side [sean]

Oh God. And the room gets heavier/my knees get weaker.
There's a filling and a flame which screams into my chest,
It or He takes my heart in His hand and makes it beat.
In surrender here there is all or none defeat; there is rest.

"Please forgive, please renew, and I will bow the knee to You."
"I'm so damned wicked that I'll never earn this by what I do."
"If You'll take the bullet I will fall before Your resurrected frame."
"If You will act, then I will never be the same."

And that's what happened.

God, how I long to shed this body and polluted instinct, free;
Put off the dwelling and be what You intended when You bent down,
Picked up the dust, and named it me. Because that's what happened.
It took the wood and nails to make me see.

A booming voice splits the sky and bye and bye, I have tasted
I have tasted that the Lord is good. Goodbye, and hello New Design.
Somewhere in this rhyme and the clatter of the keyboard keys.
I can't get my head around how all the evil that I am was put on He.
And the good He did was giv'n to me; I can run with that but I can't
Understand.

Please don't lift my head yet, please don't lift my head.
Because it belongs here on the floor beside my shoulders,
   soaked and wet.
I will take this parched and thirsty tongue and yet teach it to praise You.
I see Your outreached hand, but (though taking it),
   I do not yet understand.

I am so afraid and so at peace;
   You can strike me down if You so please.
"Perfect love will drive out fear," I know,
   but I know my love is never perfect.
My reciprocated love is a shadow of what it's meant to be.
   Take all I have to offer.
And breathing hard, from my chest,
   I know that this is what's right and whole and Best.

"Please forgive, please renew, and I will bow the knee to You."
And that's what happened.

1 comment:

  1. favorite line:
    "In surrender here there is all or none defeat; there is rest."

    ReplyDelete