September 22, 2009

The Seed of Growth [tony]

so tiny, so small
something so helpless needs to be protected
cared for and watched after
i myself am not yet grown, so how can i help something so tiny to grow?
why must something so simple exist and be placed in my hand?
is it too much to ask, “why me?”
why must i help such a thing grow?
ashamed i am of this small helpless thing, for it cannot care for itself
but i cannot take care of myself
so why don't you take it?
you can protect it care for it and watch after it far better than i can
so why must i take care of such a small but strong seedling
that you have placed in my possession? it is far too great for me to have
why must i?
it is so much bigger than myself, but still so small

why must i treat this gift you have given me
as if it is such a terrible burden?
you tell me it needs me,
but i feel that i need it so much more than it does me
so this seedling i have will need me to plant it in your soil
so then you may give it nourishment to grow
and it will give me its fruit
and when it dies, its seeds will fall
and bury into the soil and grow again for another to taste its fruit

4 comments:

  1. Love. It. Tony...this is by far my favorite poem that you have written! There are so many directions this can go...I think of Psalm 131.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the thoughts of this one ... the call to protect, the feeling of not being enough.

    ReplyDelete