October 8, 2009

Autumn Fog [judd]

Yesterday I was
Almost done with an ode to David
Marble giant marvel of
Michelangelo. The most beautiful
Man-made object I will ever see
(Not hyperbole)

But then there I was
An hour later
Driving a back road by a
Foggy autumn bog
Under a full moon
A white christening gown
Shrouding a painted marsh
Leaves in vibrant array
Awaiting last rites
Even as they are baptized
By the fog

An October morning
Will fade in November
And deserves
My words
Insufficient but all I have
To preserve the temporary

Tributes to David
Will rest another day
Because he is always there
Has been for 500 years

One moral
Go see David because
There is life in that stone
But along the way
Notice the fleeting
Autumn fog

5 comments:

  1. A melodious contrast between the finite and the infinite--as well as the necessity of experiencing both.

    Favorite:

    "An October morning/Will fade in November/And deserves/My words".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the way you encourage the honoring and remembering of the past, but also living in the present. Good tension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite:
    "Leaves in vibrant array
    Awaiting last rites
    Even as they are baptized
    By the fog"

    Something about the beauty that everyone can appreciate in the death of leaves not being translated to other losses has always intrigued me. You've captured it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My words
    Insufficient but all I have
    To preserve the temporary"

    So wonderful-I couldn't have described that better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this ... loved the sacramental imagery and the value in admiring both man-created and God-created beauty.

    ReplyDelete