October 13, 2009

The Truth Follows [liz]

Truth jumps from my six story window
I am left to discern
Where did it go?
Naked to my eye
I scan the ground and find its affect
In a bite of fruit and a smile

The watchman knows when they come and when they go
But the wealth behind his eyes goes unnoticed
Believing he is just the guy behind the gate

Children dark and dirty run and
Laugh to forget what was lost
When the coal burned their lungs
But kept them warm

Three wheels and a cart touch the ground
At each push of the pedal
Truth follows the man who carries all he owns
Blessed with hunger and desperation

4 comments:

  1. I don't even know that my brain allowed me to follow that (rough day here) but I know I relate and I feel it, and that's my favorite way to read poetry anyway. Something that let's me feel the concept rather than think about it.

    I think truth lies in "a bite of fruit and a smile" far more often than we realize. Guess you can tell what my favorite line was? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of different images in this. I am not sure how they all connect but it is interesting to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested to hear what you were experiencing while you were righting this.

    My mind went to a million different places...which is cool because it allows for a point of identification for anyone who is reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poetic style reminds me of impressionism-style painting, I just decided.

    I always feel that I can somehow completely relate and yet have no tangible concept of what's taking place. Love it. Opening line is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete