October 27, 2009

Choosing Love in the Moment [tony]

Sitting here, trying to pull something out of my heart,
Wondering why it’s so hard to just write
Because me and you both know that’s where I am
I don’t want to make some unrealistic statement that sounds good
So my words are accepted by my audience
Because when my eyes open,
I come to find myself
Up on an empty stage with the spotlight in my eyes, blinding me
And only a couple pieces of scrap paper in my hands with barely anything on them
Because what’s on them is what I feel and that’s not what they want to hear
Finally realizing that I’m not some rapper trying to make it big
Because my stage is in my head,
And You are my only audience that I have
And You really don’t care if I stumble over some word because You are with me
I’m not driven by the fame and fortune
I just want my words to be heard for what they are
But when I write something down,
Does it have feeling?
Does it have soul, love, a point, a reason?
Or is it just to show something off, to make myself sound good?
When am I going to stop trying to use my head to write what I feel
When I really know what I feel when listening to my heart?

4 comments:

  1. Your mind is not your enemy. Allow it to be renewed so your writing can flow from your mind AND your heart...and your soul and your strength. You are whole.

    I love the audience of one concept. That sounds restful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes struggle with writing for what I think is a similar reason--I struggle to write my thoughts because I'm afraid they won't sound poetic or the thoughts aren't the ones I know others want me to have. But you know what, God will take all our thoughts, whatever they are, however they're said. Write with freedom and honesty. I'm glad you're writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful Tony.
    I agree with what the posters above me said. I like the phrase, "Art for art's sake." We must write exactly what we are feeling, experiencing, thinking and sensing. It will have meaning and significance simply because it's a piece of YOU. That in itself is what makes the writing special.
    I have been thrilled to follow your poetry over this season of SilhoutteWords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of the lyrics to some of the particularly honest popular Christian songs.

    ReplyDelete