May 29, 2009

If They Knew [jessi]

“No one would love me if they knew all the things I hide.”

It’s a line from an old Caedmon’s Call song that creeps back into my consciousness every so often, because it’s such an honest sentiment. Seriously—show me a man who says he has nothing to hide, and I’ll show you the biggest liar in the Western Hemisphere. The minute we started throwing open the closet doors, and dragging out his past he (if such a person exists) would beg for a halt to the process. It doesn’t really matter what’s in there. It might be an uncontrollable temper, an addiction, or something as innocuous as a misspoken word that only he remembers. But fear of judgment is strong. And with each other’s weaknesses, we are nothing if not judgmental.

It’s the relative goodness we are comparing, as if the seriousness of your sin can be placed on a sliding scale, and God grades us all on a curve. Only the truth is my redemption can’t possibly be found in having sin that is somehow “less bad” than yours, and we both know it. My storage unit full of shortcomings (heated, and 10 x 25 feet) is as crippling to me as yours is to you, regardless of what is contained therein.

So what are we left with, then? A general feeling of worthlessness that we just can’t shake, now that all attempts to justify ourselves in our own eyes have failed. And so I stuff my faults and bad habits, and trot out just enough of my quirks to make myself seem genuine to people, and I’ll use words like “authenticity” and “transparency” in hopes that by proxy I’ll be associated with those things, without actually having to go through the pain and vulnerability that is required for either. After all, “no one would love me if they knew…”

It never occurs to me to question that perhaps I’m searching for approval in the wrong place. That my desire to be loved not because of anything I do, but just because isn’t wrong of itself, just misdirected.

I was re-reading C.S. Lewis’ essay “Weight of Glory” last week, and he says,

To please God…to be a real ingredient in the divine happiness…to be loved by God, not merely pitied, but delighted in as an artist delights in his work or a father in a son—it seems impossible, a weight or burden of glory which our thoughts can hardly sustain. But so it is.
Lewis goes on to talk about the promise of glory in scripture is simply being noticed by God, and that to be noticed, known and loved is the pinnacle of our existence. So it seems that my people-pleasing tendencies, the ones that motivate me to cover up the less than stellar aspects of myself, have some sort of purpose after all. That when properly directed, and with a child-like innocence, that desire to please can itself create pleasure for my creator. May we all focus our needs for approval to such an end. If we have praise from our Creator, what need do we have to worry about praise from anyone else?

5 comments:

  1. no one would love me if they knew would apply to not knowing your self too I suppose.

    i share with you in your "by proxy" paragraph

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable."

    It is our worst trait to compare ourselves with those around us because our keen and complete knowledge of our own failings will leave us losing every time. If they ever knew they would, at the very least, have a seriously difficult time loving me.

    I love this line, "And so I stuff my faults and bad habits, and trot out just enough of my quirks to make myself seem genuine to people..."

    To be "noticed by God" is not an assessment of guilt, rather, an acknowledgement of existence.

    "How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd"
    - Alexander Pope

    I love it Jessi! So many thoughts and ideas spinning around my head from just reading this. And so many quotes from literature springing forth. I won't trouble the comment boxy thingy with all of them. I love your writing voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so relatable! The "so what are we left with paragraph" had the most impact for me. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I love the Austen quote. :)

    Jessi, this is beautiful and resoundingly true. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete