May 8, 2009

Open Hands [liz]

I fight the urge to close my fist

And pull you to my way

Not in time, but now I want

Forever to start today


Let my fingers lose the fight

Open like a flower

Sun reflects the beauty of its color

Wind is freedom’s mover


With tight fists my eyes squint shut

My vision most impaired

I lose sight of my surroundings

Even you are not so clear


Could I hold you in one place,

Even if I tried?

Life is changing; life is moving

We are better for each step


There was a time I waited without sleep

For your touch to find my heart

But now I must let lovers be

As being is apart


I tell my hand it’s never over

And slowly show my palm

Gone from here, but there we see

Liberty rests in open space

5 comments:

  1. "Liberty rests in open space."

    Well spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second stanza where your fingers lose and wind is freedom's mover. Staying with the image of the fist opening is effective because it represents what happens in a person's heart too. Very nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reminds me of the way relationships can be -

    i too, this this is a nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .fav.
    "wind is freedom's mover"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this ... beautiful thoughts on open-handed love.

    ReplyDelete