April 13, 2010

One [rachel]

From inside my car, I could tell only that the night was black, not that it was also blustery. I parked, stepped outside, and knew the coolness. My car was just two blocks off the busy street, and I had come to this point in Mt. Washington from an English department reception full of friends and food. I wanted to be alone. I wanted quiet moments with God. And I wanted them not safely in my house but here in the dark and the wind where I felt just unsafe enough to feel even a small sense of both fear and awe.

I hurried up the street on foot, crossed the main road, and half-walked, half-jogged to the railing that lines McArdle Road. McArdle is hard to drive. It scales the side of a bluff, rising high above the Monongahela River on its southern shore. The road is straight until it makes a hairpin curve away from the water at the very crest of the hill. The ascent, though, is made most treacherous by its beauty. One look to the right and I have to consciously turn my eyes back to the pavement, the guard rail, the oncoming traffic. Just across the river the Golden Triangle, Pittsburgh’s downtown, glows in its nighttime finery. A million tiny lights, the illuminated water of the Point’s fountain, the constant motion of headlights and boat lights . . . yellow, green, red, blue, purple. A visual feast.

I gripped the railing, looking down the sheer side of the bluff feeling my body sway ever so slightly with the mere suggestion of falling. I was safe, occupying the same space of sidewalk that thousands of others traverse gazing at the panorama of Pittsburgh from such a perfect vantage point. But the wind rushing up and around me, the darkness of the night, and the presence of One drew me intently into a feeling of dangerous delight. The charcoal grey clouds over Pittsburgh’s tallest buildings rolled, forming and reforming into massive shapes. Their undersides glowed, the slate sky behind them looking angry, flat, and distant. The heavens were upside down, the stars glowing from the manmade splendor of city beneath what looked like a churning ocean of stormy grey undercurrents. I felt the spray of the sky-waves on my bare arms and neck.

Some part of me wanted to leave, to rush back to my car and drive home where I could lock myself safely away from the night, from the dangerous sky and wind, from the One capable of making them. But I remained for minutes, long awe-full minutes wondering about the God, my God, who could draw me so intensely to His side in the midst of tumultuous beauty. I thought I would stand there captivated by lights, sounds, the vastness of urban constructions. Instead, my eyes locked on the ever-moving expanse above, my skin responding to the soft, strong buffet of the wind.

Not long after I returned to my car, friends called me on the phone. They thought they’d seen me standing by the railing on McArdle. “Are you in trouble? Do you need our help?” Somehow they sensed the danger though they thought it was perhaps because of a broken-down car. I told them I was fine, on my way back home. I just wanted to feel the air, see the city. They know how I love heights. I didn’t tell them that I’d felt threatened, just unsafe enough to want to run. Not threatened by cars. Not by people. Not even by darkness and solitude. But by the One, the One who made the angry slate color, the multitudinous churning clouds. The One who made me. The One whose love is so tender, so fierce.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful danger. I want to go to that place. Thanks for sharing this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time reading this, it was so intense. I think I felt how you felt. I wanted to actually run away from reading this. (I guess click away would be more accurate.) Nice work creating such great discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rachel, thanks for taking us along with you on this journey of holding beauty and treachery. i liked "visual feast," feeling the sky waves, and the line: "they know how i love the heights." it's funny how even when feelings of joy/wonder are present, the experience of sinking turmoil is not voided out. we somehow must learn to hold them both together. much love to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole thing is a marvelous juxtaposition--great work!

    Favorite lines:

    "I parked, stepped outside, and knew the coolness."

    "The ascent, though, is made most treacherous by its beauty."

    "I felt the spray of the sky-waves on my bares arms and neck."

    "The One whose love is so tender, so fierce."

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. your tone of quiet courage stuck with me through the morning rain. yay

    ReplyDelete
  6. These lyrics came to mind as I read your post...

    He is jealous for me
    Loves like a hurricane
    I am a tree
    Bending beneath
    The weight of his wind and mercy
    When all of a sudden
    I am unaware of these
    Afflictions eclipsed by glory
    And I realize how beautiful you are
    And how great your afflictions for me

    I agree with Jake...love the juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite line:
    "I parked, stepped outside, and knew the coolness."

    ...presence of One -- loved it.

    It's hard to create and almost-physical atmosphere for the reader and you did it really well. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Rachel this rocks. I looooooove the danger and beauty together. I think it speaks to a really deep part of what beauty is. It is threatening ya know? Anyway. Your description of the clouds and sky was so vivid to me. And true to life. I could totally feel the environment. It was cool to read these and wonder about your life, a little window into parts of you I don't know. =).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I got to see this place in person :-) I definitely felt like that when I went there too b/c I love heights, but my body has a somewhat different reaction! However, I like feeling the mix of danger and bliss. Sometimes when I feel like that though, I force myself to stay until it becomes comfortable, but only in instances when I can be sure I'm ok, or I know the ending....I know, typical me!

    ReplyDelete